Monday, September 21, 2009

Why I Like The Gym

Some people love to workout, but hate the gym. They live for nature and the feel of fresh air as they run, hike, and bike their way to fitness. I am not one of these people. I love the gym. I rarely think to workout outside and when I do it seems to be less vigorous than my usual cardio routine on my beloved equipment. Here are some reasons why:

Television and Magazines
The thrill of working out and achieving your fitness goals can only go so far. Sometimes I am sweating through the last twenty minutes thinking "why am I still here? I've done enough. I can go home." It helps that everything I would go home to do (ahem watch tv) is right there! No excuses...

The People
The best part by far! Nothing motivates me more than the healthy competition that comes from seeing one run a little faster, climb a little higher, or persevere a bit longer than me. I know it's not PC, but this works. Being in the gym with other people who work out makes me want to work out. It motivates and hardly ever deters. I know some people might get discouraged by someone in better shape, but I like to think that they started out slightly lazy and are in need of motivation like me.

The Music
Okay, not really. I never listen to the music. I bring my IPOD and play the heck out my cardio mix. However, I think I would listen to it if I ever forgot my IPOD or ran out of batteries.

The Mirrors
Again, not PC but totally honest. It's good for watching form and every once in a while it's cool to work your muscle and actually see it as you go through the exercising motion. This is not to be confused with standing in front of the mirror and shamelessly checking oneself out from all vantage points in full view of all amused gym goers.

The People
They deserve another line. Because the only thing better than watching people for motivation is listening for motivation. Trainers are great because I have picked up many exercise tips or weight training variations from spying on other people's sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment