Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Personal Training Commentary

I have mixed feelings about personal training. One on hand, I think a trainer can motivate and push you to limits that you would not otherwise reach. On the other had, having a trainer seems like a cop-out -- paying someone to push you seems silly when the issues stem from your own lack of discipline. Despite the mixed feellings, I have experiemented with personal trainers in the past and continue to see it as an important part of my workout process.

I view the trainer as a mix between cheerleader and coach -- praising you for accomplishments and pushing you to strech beyond your means. Negotiating this balance is not an easy task for the trainer and I think selecting the right one goes far beyond picking someone who demonstrates an amazing array of before and after pictures.

What matters to me is that I didn't feel good after my training session tonight. I expect to feel strong after working out. I like the sense of achievement that comes from stretching beyond my means. However, I didn't feel that way today. I came away from it tired, embarrassed and as close to quitting as I have ever been. I couldn't complete a move, I was frustrated and it was humiliating. Who pays to feel that way after a workout? I know that my frustration could've stemmed from fatigue, but this is the second time that the workout has had that effect.

I think that individuals seek trainers for different reasons and that different people require different motivation. Maybe today was just a bad day, but I don't know if that is the case. The best way to address this is to be clear with my trainer about what I need psychologically. He may have physical expertise, but that doesn't mean he knows what I require to be most successful. I am going to give this some more thought before our next session on Friday. I know I got a good workout today, but I don't know that it is worth negative feelings that I had during and after the session.

No comments:

Post a Comment