Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day Twenty-Five

Today is a likely rest day. It's hard to imagine I will want to go to the gym after a 7:00PM dinner. I felt good today -- good enough to think a workout would be worthwhile, but I am sure I'll be tired later. I think the fact that I feel like working out is a good sign -- it demonstrates to me that the habit is beginning to form and that the desire to exercise can overrule general end of the day fatigue. I've read lots of conflicting opinions about days of rest. Most say that they are critical; some say that even one day without rest is an invitation to drop your workouts.

The logic behind the latter point of view resonates. I can easily see how not going today could easily become a pattern. And, I can see how that has happened with past workout efforts. Giving up vigilance one day is a slippery slope (As a sidenote: I recognize that I stopped tracking this time last week).

What's the takeaway here? Wednesday is Hump Day. It's the day that we start to look towards the end of the week and plan for the weekend. Mentally, I think that my tendency to look and plan for the future puts me at a disadvantage here. It is easy to stop tracking and to ditch workouts when you're building bright and shiny plans for the new week.

What's the plan? Tomorrow I am going to focus on tomorrow. I developed plans for the week and I have a responsibility to see them through -- I will track and workout and make sure that I've done what I planned to do this week before moving on to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment