Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December 2, 2009 - Telecommuting

I feel every minute of yesterday's crosstraining workout. My stomach feels better than it has in days, but everything else hurts! It's great. Today I am doing something I should have started months ago -- working from home. A mid-week workday from home is a good way to manage energy levels without sacrificing productivity.

I am a bit of a traditionalist -- is that the right word? I believe that face to face time with colleagues provide benefits that aren't easily replicated with technology. Therefore, I struggle with wanting to be present and accounted for at my desk or in meetings instead of at home where I can squeeze in naps and rest during my downtime. Of course this struggle is not new to many people -- working parents or adult children caring for their parents come to mind. There are numerous working adults who benefit from the flexibility of telecommuting policies and I think it is counterproductive for me to "feel bad" about taking advantage for it for health-related reasons. It helps that I can honestly say to myself that I will be more productive today (and probably happier tomorrow) as a result of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment