Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday, November 6: Day ???

Reaching goal two weeks in a row feels good! I probably should say that it feels great, but I know I have much more work to do. I want to continue to strive to complete the crazy cardio minutes – the magazine article did say four weeks to a better you – and, I am only halfway there. Moreover, next week is going to present a few challenges – one is a natural part of the process and the other is unique to this week. I am going to need Planning and Persistence to see me through Week Three.

Challenge 1: Adaptation

This is not exactly a bad thing. My body has had at least two weeks to get used to the change in diet and routine. My taste buds are hovering dangerously between boredom and outright rejection of last week’s favorites. The stairs don’t produce the same burn and my heart rate takes longer to get up to speed during my favorite Elliptical workout.

Adaptations = diminished returns. It’s ironic that getting comfortable with a routine means you have to change it. Two weeks is a good amount of time to cycle through changes in diet and workouts and I’ve scoured the magazines looking for tweaks that I can make to maintain progress without losing my enthusiasm. Here is what I am prepared to do:

1) New Cardio Playlist – I am totally bored with my current selection. I cycle through shuffle and drain my battery looking for songs that will keep me moving at a vigorous pace. It’s time for some new beats.

2) New Cardio Routine – I don’t have choice next week, which I’ll get to in a minute. I have a few ideas for helping to switch it up – circuits will be my focus.

3) Condiments – Again, I will not have a choice this week. I don’t want to get rid of my base foods (e.g., yogurt, protein cereal, and mini sandwiches), but I will play around with the add-ins and condiments to avoid overeating in the evenings because of boredom. Next week might require actual calorie cycling from day to day, but I’ll put that idea on hold.


Challenge 2: The Dreaded Medical Exam

Nothing says obstacle like an unwanted, semi-invasive (to be fair, I think thermometers in the ear are invasive) medical exam in the middle of the week. The exam itself is painless. The anticipation and preparation are not.

Vigorous workouts are my best tool to combat the stress that comes from worrying about sedation, beeping machines, antiseptic hospital smells, and the exam follow-up. Unfortunately, clear liquid diets are not conducive to vigorous exercise. And, I can’t predict right now how I will feel on the day of the exam. Grogginess and fatigue may counteract the desire to sweat it out.” So, I need to be creative. My strategy is pretty simple:

1) Blogging – Writing is the sitting down equivalent to “sweating it out.” Expressing joy for the mini-triumphs and concern about the not-so-mini setbacks keeps everything in perspective. No matter what happens next week, I will keep to my commitment to write down daily what is happening.

2) Acceptance – Yeah, so next week is going to come no matter what (tomorrow in fact). And, the only thing I can control is my reaction to everything that happens. That should be my only focus – worrying about things I can’t change is a distraction that keeps me from devoting energy to what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment