Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2, 2010

The diet is going well. I like the (finely chopped) leafy greens and enjoy the fish. Most importantly, I feel better. I wish I could find the right words to describe the mild malaise that I felt when I found myself eating so many pre-packaged foods. It's something you read about and hear about -- often from health food fanatics eager to share the wonders of a natural diet. Sometimes the ravings make me cringe, but I do get their point. My mind seems much clearer when my diet consists of frequent small meals comprised of real food. It's similar to the clarity that comes from having a good cardio workout.

I've been without serious stomach issues for a long period of time and I think paying attention to the balance of meals, exercise, fluids, and sleep plays a big role. I am taking advantage of the feeling of freedom that comes from feeling well by planning trips and generally increasing the mental and physical demands that I put on myself. Pushing myself in this way is positive, but I know that I need to be mindful of my past mistakes. I know when to take a step back and stop myself from overdoing it. However, I don't think I have learned how not to get ahead of myself in thinking that awareness equals routine when balancing the four factors that I listed before: meals, fluids, exercise, and sleep.

These things tend to slip as I plan more and more things to do. I stop blogging and concurrently pay less attention to sustaining the exercise minutes, measuring my portions, maintaining a bed time, etc. I am certainly better than I was, but I am not there yet. I need to be relying more on the tools that got me here, not less. The tedium of keeping track of this stuff is cheaper, less stressful and more fun than counting out a daily regimen of pills, being on a first name basis with nurses at the local hospital, and not having the energy to do fun stuff like going to balls or weekend trips across the country.

It seems right to end this with something like "you have to work hard to play hard." This stuff is who I am. It's part of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment