Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Go Hard or Don't Go

A few words about the danger of low expectations are embedded in my last post and I want to pick up on that and drop in a few lyrics for one of my faithful readers.

I Must Go Hard

so i am, i will , i gots to go
you got another way to live you gots to go hard
i am gettin it in until the end i got to go, go, go , go hard

Yup.

I think my abseentism as late has been fueled by a shift in priorities. The act of blogging and the physical record it produces do not have the same value as six months ago. I no longer need to prove that I can push myself physically, I am not currently experiencing signficant effects of IBD, documentation of my efforts has become less important because I see it in the mirror and feel it everyday.

A lot of long-term diet plans stress the importance of maintenance. The midset of a weight loser is different than that of someone who has alrady accomplished something.

I am going soft right now.

I don't feel the same pressure to prove something to myself and my expectations have suffered.

If you settle for om outcomes, then you eventually begin to adapt your behavior to only pursue ok outcomes.

I have been settling for feeling better, but have stopped short of pushing myself to achieve more.

This begs the questions...why do we do anything if we aren't going to commit to it? And why give ourselves credit for just good enough when you have the potential to great?

So what if I've proven that I can go to the gym and eat select pieces of fruit without getting sick. That might have been okay before but it's just scraping the surface of what I am able to do.

At the end of the day, I am my own worst critic and this can be an advantage. I feel good when I go hard regardless of the outcome. Similarly, I feel fraudulent when I go soft but get recognized for doing something that appears to be me going hard.

It would sound incredibly cheesy to say "cue the beat," but I give myself a pass.

So I am, I will, I gots to go

I Go Hard

No comments:

Post a Comment